A Natural Approach To Health
Living With Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
I had a question the other day about multiple chemical sensitivity.
Multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) is also called “environmental illness” or “sick building syndrome.”
It refers to a variety of symptoms reported by some people after possible exposure to chemical, biologic, or physical agents.
Symptoms include headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, congestion, itching, sneezing, sore throat, chest pain, changes in heart rhythm, breathing problems, muscle pain or stiffness, skin rash, diarrhea, bloating, gas, confusion, trouble concentrating, memory problems, and mood changes.
Triggers include tobacco smoke, auto exhaust, perfume, insecticide, new carpet, chlorine, paint, and many others.
Levels of exposure generally considered safe for most people can have an effect on some people.
High doses of some chemicals make people sick and irritants like pollution and cigarette smoke worsen conditions like asthma.
How very low levels of chemical exposure affect people isn’t clear.
Studies show women between the ages of 30 and 50 are more likely to develop symptoms.
The reason for this isn’t known.
Some experts suggest it’s an immune response similar to allergies.
Others say the symptoms stem from an extreme sensitivity to certain smells.
It’s possible conditions like depression and anxiety play a role, too.
To deal with multiple chemical sensitivities it’s beneficial to:
*Drink 6-8 cups of purified water daily as it hydrates body and brain cells and flushes toxins (whether thirsty or not!).
*If you develop a skin rash from exposure to metal in watchbands, earrings, snaps, or other items coming in contact with your skin, trying using calendula cream, elder flower, or tea tree oil on the rash.
*The first step in managing chemical allergies is to determine which chemicals are provoking the allergic reaction, then avoid coming in contact with them. If the source of the problem isn’t obvious, see an allergy specialist.
*Avoid foods sprayed with or containing artificial colorings (found in some apples and oranges), ripening agents, or protective waxes (found on some apples, cucumbers, and other items). Avoid things containing Yellow #5 dye. Read all food product labels carefully.
*Supplement your diet with plenty of fiber. Fiber helps to cleanse your system. Oat bran is a good source of fiber. Apple pectin also can be a useful in your diet. It removes unwanted metals that may trigger allergic reactions. (Always take supplemental fiber separately from other supplements and medications.) Other recommended foods include almonds, apricots, bananas, barley, beans, beets, Brazil nuts, brown rice, carrots, dates, fish, garlic, grapes, hazelnuts, lemons, lentils, oatmeal, onions, spinach, and yogurt.
*If at all possible, eat only organically grown foods.
*Mercury and silver in old dental fillings can cause allergic reactions as well as heavy metal poisoning. Consider seeing a holistic dentist.
*Always wear protective clothing and rubber or latex gloves when handling chemicals, even commonly available products like solvents, paint strippers, and paint thinners. Avoid breathing the fumes, especially in a confined area.
*Purify indoor air.
*Avoid being outside during any aerial application of insecticides or pesticides.
*Perform a cleansing fast for 3 days each month to help your body get rid of toxins.
*Switch to safe, nontoxic cleaners, laundry and personal care products that don’t emit toxic fumes/residues.
*Avoid chemicals whenever possible. Even getting gasoline on your hands while fueling the car or lawn mower isn’t a good idea.
*Review my post on candida.
*Eliminate smoking and second-hand smoke.
If you’re dealing with multiple chemical sensitivities, try these (100% money-back guarantee):