A Natural Approach To Health
Living With a Snakebite
I had a question the other day about snakebites.
There are 4 types of poisonous snakes in the U.S.: copperheads, coral snakes, cottonmouths (or water moccasins), and a variety of rattlesnakes.
Approximately 4,000 – 7,000 Americans are bitten by poisonous snakes each year, usually in the summer months, in grassy or rocky places.
But, only about 25% of these bites involve venom – because snake save their venom for prey, not necessarily for defense.
If you come across a snake big enough to consider you prey, your problems are bigger than a simple bite!
The toxicity of snake venom, which varies from species to species, can kill tissue and release toxins into your body causing serious problems with blood pressure, heart rate, and pain.
If you’ve been bitten by a poisonous snake, you may have mild to severe symptoms, which can include swelling or discoloration of your skin in the area of the bite, a racing pulse, weakness, shortness of breath, nausea, and vomiting.
In extreme cases, pain and swelling can be severe, your pupils may dilate, and shock and convulsion may occur.
You may twitch and your speech may become slurred.
In the most severe cases, paralysis, unconsciousness, and death can result.
There are only about 4 deaths in the U.S. each year due to snakebite, yet this is a situation feared by hikers, paddlers, climbers, fishermen, hunters, and campers.
Most deaths occur in children because of their smaller body mass and incomplete immune system development.
Improper treatment causes many injuries, and there’s a lot of misinformation about first aid.
It’s worth emphasizing the majority of snakes are not poisonous.
Nevertheless, if you’ve been bitten by a snake you should be seen by a professional immediately, because the severity of initial symptoms doesn’t always reflect the seriousness of the bite.
If you have a pet snake that bites, make sure it can’t get out to harm anyone, especially small children.
The nutrients and other measures outlined here are intended to alleviate pain and hasten healing after appropriate medical care has been administered.
They’re not meant to substitute for it.
To deal with snakebites it’s beneficial to:
*Drink 6-8 cups of purified water daily as it hydrates your body and flushes toxins.
*Poultices of comfrey, slippery elm, or white oak leaves and bark can be used. Comfrey salve, plantain poultice, or plantain salve can also be used. (Comfrey is for external use only.)
*Olive leaf extract has antibacterial properties.
*Yellow dock can be used to alleviate symptoms. Drink a cup of yellow dock tea or take 2 capsules of yellow dock every hour until the symptoms are gone.
*Prevention is the best cure! To reduce the possibility of snakebite, always stay on paths and hiking trails when in wooded areas.
*Wear leather boots and long pants if walking in tall grass.
*Carry a walking stick, especially in rattlesnake country. A snake often will strike at the stick first.
*Be alert. If you see a snake, don’t approach it. Stay at least 6′ away.
*If you come across a log, step onto the log and then over it. Never step directly over it.
*If you’re walking in a tall grassy area, use a long walking stick or other object to tap the ground in front of you before you step.
*Take special caution when walking near or through a wet marshy area, as water moccasins can occupy these areas.
If you’re dealing with snakebites, try these (100% money-back guarantee):