A Natural Approach To Health
Living With a Bee Sting
I had a question the other day about bee stings.
If you’re stung by a bee, try to remove the stinger immediately.
The stinger contains venom which continues to be released for several seconds after a sting.
Your doctor can determine if you’re allergic to bee stings with a simple skin test, using purified, freeze-dried venom.
Reduce your chances of being stung by avoiding brightly colored, white, or pastel clothing.
Don’t use cosmetics or perfume with floral scents.
Food odors attract insects, especially yellow jackets, so be alert when you’re cooking or eating outdoors.
To deal with bee stings it’s beneficial to:
*Drink 6-8 cups of purified water daily as it hydrates your body and flushes toxins.
*Poultices made from comfrey and white oak bark and leaves can ease pain and promote healing. Lobelia poultices and plaintain poultices or salve are also beneficial.
*Juniper tea cleanses the venom from your internal system, and can also make an excellent external poultice when the berries are crushed and applied to the sting.
*Drink as much yellow dock tea as you can, or take 2 capsules of yellow dock every hour until symptoms are relieved.
*If you’re stung, immediately and carefully remove any stinger left in your skin. Don’t pull the stinger out with your fingers or tweezers. Instead, gently scrape it out. A sterilized knife is best, but you can use your fingernail or the edge of a credit card if nothing else is available. Be careful not to squeeze the stinger or the attached venom sac as this may inject more poison into your skin. Afterward, wash the area and rinse thoroughly.
*If you’ve ever had an allergic reaction to a sting in the past, seek emergency medical attention immediately. Life-threatening allergic reactions can come on suddenly and progress very quickly. If you have no history of insect allergy, no medical treatment is needed, but stay alert for symptoms of a developing allergic reaction. Reactions can occur within minutes or hours, and they can happen the first time or the thousandth time you’re stung by a bee.
*If you’re aware you’re highly allergic and prone to anaphylactic shock, carry an emergency kit containing a premeasured dose of epinephrine.
*If you’re not highly allergic, once the stinger has been removed and the area cleansed, try one or more of the following remedies to ease pain and swelling:
>Make a paste by adding a bit of cool water to baking soda, a crushed aspirin, or a crushed papaya enzyme tablet, and apply the mixture to the sting.
>Charcoal tablets, available in health food stores, can be used as a poultice. Empty 2 capsules, add 6 drops of liquid alcohol-free goldenseal extract to make a paste, then smooth on a sterile gauze pad and place on the sting area. This will absorb the poisons and prevent infection. Use only charcoal recommended for internal use.
>Apply an ice compress to the sting area a few minutes every 2 hours for the first day after you’ve been stung. Not only will you reduce the swelling and pain from the sting, but you’ll also be stopping the spread of venom.
>Apply lavender oil to the sting area to reduce inflammation and pain.
>Crush plantain leaves and squeeze out the juice. Apply this extract directly to the sting. Within 30 minutes, the pain and swelling should be greatly reduced.
>Other remedies to consider include: Rubbing toothpaste on the sting; applying calamine lotion to the area, or rubbing a meat tenderizer containing papain on the sting can also ease the pain.
>If you’ve been stung on the foot or leg, elevate it for about half an hour after removing the stinger.
If you’re dealing with a bee sting, try these (100% money-back guarantee):